The Unexplained: Did the goblins come from a UFO?

The little green man as described by Billy Ray Taylor and drawn by Andrew Ledwith.

The alien creatures could not be felled by ammunition from a .22 pistol, a rifle, or a shotgun. They kept on flying.

This is a report about the Hopkinsville Goblins.  Hopkinsville is in Kentucky and the goblins are not goblins at all, but alien life forms from another world.  This alien life was described by witnesses, and when their descriptions were sketched at police headquarters and news outlets, the sketches resembled thin, short creatures, with huge bat wing type ears and long arms that ended with spiky claws.  The pictures resembled the goblins of folklore, so the name stuck.

The alien creatures could not be felled by ammunition from a .22 pistol, a rifle, or a shotgun.  When hit by gunfire, the strike sounded like clanging on metal the witnesses reported.  After being hit, they just continued moving in the air, like gliding through water, swimming.

The bizarre encounter occurred on August 21, 1955.  It was plain to see that something awful had happened to the people rolling up to the Hopkinsville police station.  They had terror in the eyes—seven adults and five children.  They had fled in horror from their rural farm when they could make a dash for it.

They relayed that they had been having to hold off trespassers with a barrage of gunfire for over four hours.  They described the trespassers as small creatures that were caught peering through their windows with glowing yellow eyes.  They had tried to get in the door.  They had scratched and clawed all around the house trying to get in.

Sara Marie Hogg

The Hopkinsville police were concerned about all the gunfire and did not want a repeat.  Someone could get hurt.  They reinforced themselves with State Troopers, deputy sheriffs, and some MPs and sped to the property.

They searched and searched but could find nothing at the Sutton farm but an unhinged door and some bullet holes in windows and doors.  The Sutton property was actually closer to the smaller settlement of Kelly—thus the event is sometimes called the Kelly Incident.

The people residing in the Sutton farmhouse were the Sutton brothers and their wives, Billy Taylor and wife, O. P. Baker, and Gennie Langford, whose sons were the Sutton boys, Elmer and J.C.

The excitement started when Billy Taylor was out back getting water.  He saw a spacecraft with a rainbow-colored exhaust plume.  The sliver craft moved from the woods toward the house, then stopped in mid-air.  It eased straight to the ground.  When Billy blurted this out back inside the house, they all laughed at him, without mercy.

They were all alarmed an hour or so later, by the dogs barking.  Billy and Lucky went to the back door to look and that is when they saw the first humanoid creature.  It was standing in a glowing mist.

The bodies of the creatures also gave off a glow, it was silvery, with a tinge of green.

They fired a shot at the little humanoid and it did a flip and scrambled off into the shadows.  When others appeared, staring in the windows, they also did this flip maneuver to getaway.  Some of the creatures floated away, and some of them did the flip maneuver, back into the shadows.  They continued to scratch on the roof of the farmhouse for a long time.  When the scratching died down, the family made a dash for the cars and raced to the police station.

This bunch of people was not the type to ask for help from outsiders, so it was a big move.  Their evening had been terrifying.  After the police left the family tried to go back to sleep, but the creatures returned and pestered them again. They finally left at five a.m.

The incident got local and national attention and curiosity seekers from all over swarmed on the land.  It is probable that the Air Force never pursued the matter, so reports that they declared it a hoax are exaggerated.

UFO enthusiasts have declared it to be a documented and significant case.  Despite rumors of alcohol-induced hallucinations, the police had found no liquor or bottles on the property—in fact, it was known that the Sutton matriarch would no allow alcohol on the farm.

In addition, many people in that area had reported strange and unusual lights in the sky, that night.

When Lucky’s granddaughter, Geraldine Hawkins, was interviewed in 2002, she emphasized that “it was no joke.”  Lucky had repeated this somberly, until the day he died.

I would love to make a good movie about the Hopkinsville event—a movie with some really fine-looking goblin-like aliens, all shiny and nice, no CGI.  This would take some doing but it would be possible.

, , , , , , ,

Related Posts